Purpose: Develop and share small, useful ways to support more effective, widespread, and rapid collegial sharing of improvements in teaching and learning with technology.
Conference Twitter hash tag - Tweet: #LillyGSO(?)
How? FISE, Nanovation
Improvements in Teaching/Learning with Technology
Intentional Support for Collegial Sharing
Identify shareworthy, low-threshold, shareable improvements from your own experience and/or activities at Lilly Conference
A. Select one improvement
B. Agree on a description.
Complete a NoteTaking Bookmark (Paper or Online Option)
Minimum: Brief title; brief description; at least one reference (URL/link, article, ...); contact information for someone willing to answer questions or provide a little additional support
[If you agree to work on one of the improvements suggested by one of you, use this time to clarify, revise, sharpen the text - ask each other tough, helpful questions!]
Example of a shareworthy, low-threshold, shareable improvement - produced by small group during workshop Feb 4, 2011
"Learn, Teach, Learn" Activity
1. Students learn a new concept
2. Students prepare to teach this specific concept to peer students, using "their own way of teaching"
3. Students teach this specific concept to [some? many? one? optional?] peer students
Copy of paper bookmark first draft produced by this group and scanned with permission (click on this image to see a larger, more legible version):
C. Develop a sharing strategy
Each strategy should help one person to enable and encourage 3 more colleagues try similar improvements and then, in turn, help 3 more colleagues, and so on....
i. Think of 3 receptive colleagues who might benefit from learning about your improvement - and who might be likely to help others - jot down their initials to help you recall later whom you intended to help.
ii. Develop a strategy to use paper bookmarks for this purpose
iii. If time permits (or the paper bookmark is not a good fit for your improvement) develop a different kind of strategy for the same purpose.
- Report results in this session.
- Time permitting, discuss other ideas for using paper bookmarks at your own institution or at this conference.
- Complete more NoteTaking bookmarks during this conference and leave them in the wicker basket in the conference registration area.
- Send results or inquiries to SallyGilbert@tltgroup.org
- Participate in FridayLive! - present, observe, engage! Every Friday 2:00pm Eastern. [Special today: 3:15pm Eastern - John Zubizarreta, Prof. of Year tlt.gs/johnz