Purpose: Identify and share resources, references, and recommendations to improve students' learning and faculty teaching (in a classroom or online) without requiring much additional faculty time.
- Small steps that faculty members can take to improve student engagement in undergraduate courses - without adding unrealistic workloads for their students or themselves.
- Very brief guides that help faculty members and other academic professionals to begin some useful course improvements. These guides provide reminders of key information and include links for going further. Most guides also offer at least one easy way to share the improvement with colleagues (e.g., via FISE Paper Bookmark).
- Templates and samples to help you produce your own materials for describing and sharing Frugal Innovations for Student Engagement with your colleagues (e.g., via small web pages and printable and editable paper bookmarks).
- Advance "Nanovation"...
Enable, encourage and engage faculty and other academic professionals to:
- Identify modest course improvements that rely on readily available low-threshold resources and that are likely to advance worthwhile educational goals - at least a little almost immediately and with the potential for greater cumulative impact.
- Develop plans and materials that make it easy to share these improvements with colleagues. The sharing process should require only a few minutes of demonstration or discussion accompanied by no more written information than can fit within a single paper bookmark.
- Demonstrate ways of supporting the implementation, adaptation, and further sharing of these improvements.
- Collect and report information about the progress of these efforts in ways helpful to those who influence the future allocation of staff time, budget and other resources for the continuation of this work.
Confirm that each of these TLT course improvements is worthwhile in itself. Even the modest effort required to begin using the improvement is easily justified by some of its likely initial consequences. The minimum introduction should also be adequate for beginning additional incremental improvements in the same valuable direction.
A Few Rights Reserved by the TLT Group, A Non-Profit Organization
Note: You can probably create a Web page more visually appealing than this one.